Tuesday, December 8, 2009

What went wrong?

Here's something that happens:
I drew this caricature of Matthew McConaughy without a shirt. So far so good, right? But I've been putting this up at work for about a week now, and about one out of every three passers-by will say "Hey! Look! It's Owen Wilson!"
Seriously? I gave him kind of a big nose, because he has kind of a big nose, but to me, this doesn't look like Owen Wilson. It looks like Matthew McConaughy.
This happens to every caricature artist. The work we think is our best isn't, and the work we think is our worst turns out okay after all.
But really? Owen Wilson?
Have an opinion?

1 comment:

Terri said...

Hello Tielman,
You don't remember me I am sure...I am a BAH Mom. Anyway, you did caricatures of all four of my children (Megan, Katie. Riley, & Jacob) at the bowling alley one of the homeschool winter parties! I CHERISH them! And I thought Matthew McConaughy...but I can see Owen Wilson too. Matthew has curly hair maybe that would of helped....just a thought